How to get Prescription Drug Coverage
To get Medicare drug coverage, you must join a plan run by an insurance company or other private company approved by Medicare.
Each plan can vary in cost and drugs covered. Here are the two ways to get drug coverage:
- Medicare Part D: Adds drug coverage to Original Medicare, some Medicare Cost Plans, some Medicare Private Fee-for-Service (PFFS) Plans, and Medicare Medical Savings Account (MSA) Plans.
- Medicare Advantage Plan (Part C): You get all of your Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) and Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) coverage, and prescription drug coverage (Part D), through these plans. Medicare Advantage Plans with prescription drug coverage are sometimes called “MA-PDs.” You must have Part A and Part B to join a Medicare Advantage Plan.
How to Join a Drug Plan
- Enroll on the Medicare Plan Finder or on the plan’s website.
- Complete a paper enrollment form.
- Call the plan.
- Call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227).
- When you join a Medicare drug plan, you’ll give your Medicare number and the date your Part A and/or Part B coverage started. This information is on your Medicare card.